Use Agenda Setters to fight stimulus cronyism with the Read the Bills Act! Retweet
Today’s Action: Use the Read the Bills Act to deny consent to the coronavirus stimulus bill. And participate in our new Agenda Setting strategy to pass RTBA.
Note: We’re still in beta-test so let us know if you have problems by writing us via Feedback@DownsizeDC.org.
Agenda Setters by Downsize DC launches today! And we take our first action! Remember the plan…
- We will, with your help, recruit 300 people in your Congressional district.
- These people will visit your local congressional offices in waves of 3, 5, or 6 people at a time. NOT in Washington, DC, but right where you live.
- These groups will lobby for your reps to co-sponsor good legislation.
- These meetings will happen week-after-week-after-week until your reps submit to take our desired action.
- We will start with positive proposals that already have trans-partisan support. This will speed progress.
It gets better…
- No meetings at local congressional offices will happen until we have all 300 Agenda Setters ready to go in your district.
- Minimal effort is needed from you until or unless we recruit the 300. This means there’s no risk of wasted effort. You will act when action is sure to work.
- We will also be doing the same thing in every district in the country.
- Once we have a majority of co-sponsors for a bill, we can force passage using a discharge petition, even if congressional leadership objects.
- But we expect congressional leaders to submit to a vote long before that happens.
This is a low-risk, low-investment, high leverage strategy.
It will work far better than voting harder or complaining louder.
The action begins now!
The subject is the huge multi-trillion-dollar coronavirus stimulus package.
- Part 1 of the cure for that is the RTBA (Read the Bills Act). There’s no way Congress could have read a thousand-page bill in time to pass it so quickly.
- Part 2 of the cure is the OSTA (One Subject at a Time Act), which prohibits multi-topic bills like this one. We’ll take action on OSTA in a day or two.
We’ll tackle Part 1 right now! Go to our Action Center and do the following…
- Send your reps a letter asking them to introduce RTBA.
- If you want to be one of the 300 Agenda Setters in your district for RTBA lobbying visits, leave the box for that checked.
We’re still in beta-test so let us know if you have problems by writing us at Feedback@DownsizeDC.org.
Need more motivation?
Consider what has happened with the big coronavirus stimulus bill…
- It was assembled in secret by a few congressional leaders
- Few members of Congress saw a copy
- No members of Congress read it
- No one in public had a chance to review it and comment
It gets worse. The stimulus bill allows the Federal Reserve to…
- Conduct secret meetings with no minutes available for later public review.
- Allocate a $454-billion tax-funded slush fund for Wall Street bailouts
This is on top of…
- The trillions of dollars in legally counterfeited new currency the Fed is already adding to the money supply.
- The trillions of dollars of new debt Congress will borrow for other forms of bailout.
White House Economic Adviser Larry Kudlow admits the Treasury is giving the Fed “$4-trillion in Federal Reserve lending power.” This will have long-term consequences. Perhaps inflation or a future market crash.
The best way to prevent similar events in the future is to…
- Become one of the 300 Agenda Setters for the Read the Bills Act.
- Deny consent to the stimulus bill and ask your reps to sponsor RTBA.
You can do both things here. And remember, we’re still in beta-test so let us know if you have problems by writing us at Feedback@DownsizeDC.org.
Jim Babka, President