Read the Bills Act
Pass Downsize DC’s “Read the Bills Act” (RTBA)…
- A quorum of Congress must hear a reading of every bill before a vote can be held
- Each member of Congress who votes Yes for a bill must sign an affidavit that he or she has read every word of it
- Bills must be posted online for seven days prior to a vote so that citizens, like YOU – or experts you trust, like Downsize DC – will also have time to review it or provide commentary
- The full text of any provision to be amended must be included in the bill so that everyone can read both the old version and new versions of the code
These requirements would…
- Give politicians an incentive to make their bills shorter and potentially more humble
- Slow the cancerous growth of government
- Foster deliberation, leading to better bills
- Give citizens more time to rally in opposition to bad legislation
You don’t trust politicians to obey it? We don’t either. This is a law, with teeth: Courts must refuse to enforce any statutes passed in violation of these provisions.
How will we pass it?
300 people in your district will visit your local congressional offices in groups of 3, 5, or 6. We call these people Agenda Setters. There will be similar groups in every district. Each additional sponsor they recruit will improve our chance to pass RTBA. Having a majority of sponsors will allow us to compel passage. As you consider being one of the 300 Agenda Setters in your district, please know that…
- The visits won’t start until we have your local 300 committed.
- You won’t go alone.
- You can choose a convenient day.
- You won’t have to be the group’s spokesperson, unless you want to be.
Keep the box checked if you want to be one of the 300 Agenda Setters. Then send a letter to Congress. This will allow us to send you email progress reports.