Read the Bills Act
Make Congress read every word of every rule they impose on you.
RTBA (the Read the Bills Act) has already been introduced in the Senate – S. 3879. RTBA would…
- Make their bills shorter and more humble
- End the “rubber stamp” growth of government
- Foster deliberation and debate
- Give you and your political allies more time to rally opposition to bad legislation
- A requirement that half the members sit and listen to a word-for-word reading of the bill
- Both the old and new text of any provision to be amended must be included. That way, no lobbyist “funny business” sneaks by
- Each member of Congress who votes Yes must sign an affidavit that he or she has read every word of the bill
- Bills must be posted online for seven days prior to a vote so that citizens, like YOU – or experts you trust, like Agenda Setters – can also have time to review it and provide commentary
Will it actually work? Courts will be prohibited from enforcing laws passed in violation of the one-subject requirement. And here’s how we’ll pass RTBA…
Direct, in-person requests by 300 constituents – visiting local congressional offices in constant waves of 3, 5, or 6 – should lead your representative to sponsor this bill. Similar groups of 300 will be at work in every congressional district.
- No local meetings will be scheduled until all 300 people are committed.
- You can go at a time convenient to you.
- You won’t have to speak much unless you want to.
- When we have a majority of congressional sponsors the bill will pass and the world will change.
Set the agenda for Congress. Become an Agenda Setter. Join The 300 by filling out this form…